Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Feeding the Animals

    March 23 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    We were up at 6am. We haven’t slept a decent nights sleep since we arrived here and last night was no exception. There is a big pillow and a small pillow each on our beds. The big pillow is to big and the small pillow is just slightly to small so either way my neck ends up really hurting and I spend most of the night with a headache that goes as soon as I get up. The bed is also really hard and even Ellie says the same and she likes a hard bed so I feel like I’ve slept on the floor and hurt all over when I do get up. On top of that the duvet is really heavy and too small for the bed so to start with I lay next to the duvet to get to sleep. As the room gets colder because of the air con we both get under the duvet but then spend the rest of the night tossing and turning because we’re too hot under it and too cold without it. Add to that the dryness of the air con our room is abit of a nightmare to sleep in.
    After I’d done my morning workout we had Jaffels for breakfast using some of the eggs we’d saved from the mongoose. Then at 10am we headed back to Daisys Den to get 10kg of pellets and order a bail of hay.
    We got back home at 11am and it was broken cloud today and as soon as the sun came out we just started to burn. Then we’d get a reprieve as it ducked back behind some cloud.
    At 11:30am the hay turned up and I spent 30 minutes breaking it up and spreading it out with some pellets mixed in. An impala stood on the sidelines watching me and grunting the whole time and as soon as I’d finished and retreated to the patio he just stood at the edge of the hay hardly believing he had all of it to himself. Just as he started tucking in to it another 4 turned up and then our 3 resident warthog came back and started snuffling around in the hay and breaking it up looking for the pellets.
    I was now soaked through with sweat and got straight in the pool which was really refreshing and that’s where I stayed for the next 30 minutes watching the animals.
    For the rest of the day we didn’t do much except watch the different animals coming and going. Except for the warthog who ate and ate until they went into a food coma and fell asleep in the hay.
    At 4:30pm we headed out to The Amazing Kruger View for dinner. This was our first time here and it was heaving. We hadn’t booked a table and the waitress said they were all reserved but she found us a small table and seated us.
    The restaurant itself is based in the campsite at the far end of Marloth Park and sits right on the river overlooking the Kruger. It’s west facing so we had the sun setting over the Kruger as we ordered and ate our dinner, and we watched as Hippos swam by with their babies. It was quite an amazing place.
    We left the restaurant at 6pm and headed straight back home and Ellie immediately put some chopped banana in the bowl for the bushbaby and then we went inside and waited for him to turn up. We had the TV on and we could still hear the family at the back of us talking and the kids shouting and whooping. Eventually they shut up at 8:30pm and then the bushbaby came out. He doesn’t like the noise either.
    We watched him for an hour jumping in to the bowl and then bouncing off from tree to tree with banana in his paws and at 9:30pm we called it a day and went to bed.
    Read more