Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Head wind cycling

    September 5, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Turkey is really a great country to visit! Although it's dry in this area, there's always something interesting to see. Yesterday, we passed some volcanic area with a colorful soil an volcanic rocks as well as an ancient Greek temple. Today, we passed some old villages in the hills which are characterized by cute little houses built of stones. We also stopped to see Assos, a village located on a hill with a fort and tiny cobblestone streets. Based on the number of stalls selling all kinds of touristic stuff, it seems to be busy in normal years. However, we were pretty much the only ones walking around the streets - and that's on a Saturday.
    Cycling today was very tough though. The road was badly paved, the hills steep and the strong headwinds caused some struggle all day. By about 11 am, it got so strong that we decided to have a heat and wind break. Luckily, we are at the coast, so we stopped at a beach restaurant for fish and an extended swim. We continued around 3pm when the wind had calmed down a little. Some kilometers along the way, we had to leave the small coastal road and get back on the highway. At least, the surface was smooth. But the amount of cars and the headwinds weren't fun at all! We missed the quiet beach and mountain roads of the last few days straight away!
    Around 5pm, we called it a day and stopped at one of the countless beach campgrounds. You can hear the cars from the road, so it's not quiet. But people are nice. The receptionist told everyone about his crazy German cyclist guests. So first, a lady came by to talk to us. She had lived in Germany years ago. Next, one of the people who worked at the beach restaurant here invited us for a tea - and another one... Time to go into the tent before we fall asleep during one of those invites 😉
    Read more