Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 154

    Fortress beasts and night guards

    October 30, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Our day started with breakfast at the hotel and a swim in the sea. Not bad! We had decided to take it slowly today, so no rush. Our first stop was after 10km only. We visited Marmure Fortress after Recep, the gardener of the site had invited us to a glass of tea. The fortress is huge and you have a great panoramic view from the top of the tower. The moat is full of turtles guarding the fortress.
    Afterwards, we cycled along the beach of Anamur. There's a long sandy beach and some hotels, so not too appealing to us. The city itself - like pretty much all villages around here - is full of greenhouses for banana plants.
    Our next stop was an ancient city again. We had our lunch here with the ruins in the back and a view of the ocean - what a nice place!
    Before setting up camp, we wanted to cycle a bit further and climb one of the upcoming hills. On the ascend, a scooter stopped on the other side. The driver indicated us to stop and handed over some bananas. On the other side of the hill, we followed the old road and reached a bay again. The village and the beach looked deserted. Cars don't usually pass here anymore as the new road with its tunnels leads through the mountains. However, there was a police station, so we asked them if it's ok to camp at the beach. Of course, it was. The police men also gave us food and water and offered to watch us during the night. And indeed, once it got dark, they checked if everything was ok, if the fishermen bothered us and if we needed more food.
    Read more