Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 162

    Exhausting beach day

    November 7, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Time to explore the area around Fethiye. After breakfast at the seafront, we cycled to Ölüdeniz. İt's a bay with a beautifully blue lagoon, an absolutely stunning location surrounded by high mountains. In order to get there, we had to climb across one of them. And the mountains here are very steep, so we were very happy we didn't have to carry our luggage today. At the beach, we went for a well deserved, nice and refreshing swim in the clear blue water.
    Afterwards, we had to climb up the mountain again. From this side, it was even steeper. Within only 2km, we gained over 300m in elevation, some sections were about 20%.
    On the way back to Fethiye, we took a detour via Karaköy. There's an old abandoned Greek city you can visit. As we have already seen similar sites here in Turkey, we only stopped for a couple of photos and continued our scenic ride.
    One more steep climb and we could roll into Fethiye. Just before the city center, we stopped again. This time, we visited the rock tombs. There was also an old Lycian sarcophagus in the middle of the road. Rather than burying their deads in a Necropolis outside of the city, people in Lycia used to get buried in between the houses. So up til now, you can still sea those sarcophagi in some of the roads in Fethiye.
    We spent the evening at the seafront watching people and strolling along the restaurants. Some of them offered live music and were lit in colourful lights, so it was nice walking around.
    Read more