Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Oahu -Day 4 (Polynesian Cultural Center)

    August 5, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    After a picturesque drive through both mountains and seaside, we arrived at the Polynesian Cultural Center. The best way to describe this place is like Epcot Center for the seven major Polynesian Islands which include Fiji, Tahiti, Hawaii, Tonga, Samoa, Aotearoa (New Zealand), and Rapa Nui (Easter Island). It's a sort of living museum where indigenous people from each of the islands put on a show illustrating their customs and traditions, while also engaging audience members. We learned dance moves from Tonga, games from Aotearoa, the many uses of the coconut from Samoa and much much more! We drank fresh coconut water from a freshly cracked coconut, though truth be told I learned I'm more a shaved ice kind of girl. We feasted on traditional island fare such poi rolls, kalua pork, and of course fresh pineapple, one of Hawaii's largest exports.

    We ended our last night in Oahu the same way we started it, eating dinner at Rock Island Cafe in King's Village and chatting with the manager who is one of the sweetest women we've ever met. If you're ever in Waikiki you should definitely stop by for some kalua pork nachos and milkshakes!

    Tomorrow morning we leave for Maui to visit some old friends and maybe even make some new ones!
    Read more