Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    The "Foodie" tour

    September 7, 2017 in China ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    After a bit of mall wandering (ranging from the conventional to kooky), we figured out the metro (super easy and cheap - 50c a trip ish) and made our way to Guloudajie station. Strolled along the greenery-draped canals and listened to random music being played by randoms. Was nice.

    Then met our tour guide Lucy for a "foodie" tour with Urban Adventures. Waited a little for the other 3 tourists - who turned out to be a family from Wellington over here for their son's inline hockey world champs (and yes we did know someone in common).

    Anyway, Lucy took us to a local supermarket (OK) and then a very quiet dumpling place. Dumplings were good. Then through the hutongs - narrow old alleyways. Quite interesting and learnt to make dumplings (would not have wanted to eat them as the hygiene practices were questionable, and I dropped all of mine repeatedly).

    Continued past the Drum and Bell towers (cool, may return to go in) and went to a busy local place. Lucy ordered us some pork steamed buns (passable), and some soupy stuff with pork liver and tofu and wheat cake. It wasn't to our taste unfortunately. Apparently popular with the locals though (the place had been around for 100 years and packed with locals). Then we finished the tour and Lucy showed us to the HouHai Bar district - very pretty and a great atmosphere. But that's another post...
    Read more