Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Roaming in Rome

    November 7, 2017 in Vatican City ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Late start but made it to the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill (was included with our Colosseum ticket of yesterday). Did it at a brisk pace and was enjoyable. Would've been better if we hadn't already seen some amazing ruins (Pompeii and Paestum), but still fun. We definitely had fun making up historical stories about the ruins we saw. It was cool.

    Then got some free sparkling water from a fountain (yay!). And then continued on in the direction of Vatican City. Saw the Bernini Elephant (base of an obelisk) and nice streets. Browsed some shops. Had more fried anchovies and then got some pizza by the slice. Was slightly confused by ordering so Wade may have ordered way too much but a takeaway box cured that. The pizza was really good - warranted the recommendation. Reinforced the belief that simple is best - can see why people go for just margarita rather than fancy toppings.

    Then more walking. Saw the Castel Sant'Angelo - impressive.

    Then without any fuss we entered Vatican City. Saw St Peter's square and some Swiss guards in their fancy garb. Also lots of soldiers with big guns. No sightings of the elusive Pope though.

    With the combination of a giant line (even though we're currently in the low season), the uninspiring reviews that accompanied the 5 star ratings of the site, and the anticlimatic viewing of the Mona Lisa still fresh in our minds - we decided to give the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica a miss.

    Walked past Trajan's forum and Trajan's column. Both quite nice, especially in the evening with them all lit up. Had to dodge some bracelet scam artists - totally fine (we didn't get scammed) and a little bit funny.

    Then walked home, got some gelato and cannelloni (average) and had a rest. Day trip tomorrow!
    Read more