Спутник
Показать на карте
  • День 74

    The Uffizi

    16 ноября 2017 г., Италия ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Decided to get into the tourist mode and check out the main sights in Florence.

    Number one - to the Uffizi! Waited in a very small (but unmoving) line with an electric sign saying it would be a 60/90min wait. Pondered spending the extra euro to go straight in, but once they actually let people in it was quick (had heard horror stories of the lines) - only ended up waiting 10/15ish minutes in total. Phwef.

    Wandered through at a medium pace and took 2 hours or so. Was happy without a tour or audio guide as we're hardly huge art buffs (plus the plaques accompanying each piece explained it in enough detail). Was nice to see paintings and sculptures and talk about the ones that stood out. Overall was pretty cool, we did slightly prefer the Louvre though (but that's just our opinion). Stopped half way through at the museum cafe for a coffee and mini tarts (expensive but good).

    Got a Christmas ornament in the gift shop and also saw temporary exhibitions on Leonardo's adoration of the magi and some Japanese screen art.

    Then went to Trattoria Mario (thanks for the recommendation Em and TK), to try some traditional Florentino steak - a big T bone cooked rare. Was nice but not the best we've had - the bits that were "overdone" (ie medium rare) were really good though. Bread and pasta (tomato rigatoni and polenta lasagne) were yum - also good that they gave us half portions so we could try both. And very reasonably priced! Enjoyed it.

    Then found a cute Christmas shop and picked up two more ornaments just because. Followed by gelato - we followed some internet tips for "artisan" gelato and were not disappointed (look for gelato that doesn't stack high and that is in covered steel containers to keep it cool). Was really good - best gelato we've had yet! Very creamy.

    Then on to the Duomo!
    Читать далее