Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 86

    The Alhambra - Alcazaba

    November 28, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Part Two: The Alcazaba

    The Alcazaba was the war fortress part of the complex, although not sure how much war it saw. The “reconquest” of Spain in 1492 by the “Catholic Monarchs” (Ferdinand and Isabella) ended more or less with the fall of Granada when the Catholic forces were peacefully let in to the Alhambra. Then they went about kicking out the Jews and Muslims from Spain and demolished parts of the Alhambra (amongst many other things).

    Anyway the Alcazaba part was cool – a few different towers with great views. Three walls in a terrace formation (the roads between the walls were for different purposes). The highest tower the watchtower had a bell on it for telling people when to water their gardens and for ringing in case of attack. There were also the knee-high (presumably partly reconstructed) remains of the military quarters – very tiny rooms!

    One highlight was at the southern end – the rampart gardens. The ramparts were originally for, you know, artillery and stuff, but then they weren't fighting more wars so they just put some gardens on there. Quite nice and peaceful and odd to see on top of a castle wall!
    Read more