Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 89

    Cordially Córdoba

    December 1, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Granada train station under renovation so we took a bus (hour or so) to Antequera Santa Anna - a train station on the way to Cordoba, which is presumably a sort of junction. Had coffee and donut and ate our sandwiches in the one hour wait. Then a 40 minute train (the high speed AVE one). A twenty minute walk and we arrived at our place.

    Then headed out for a wander through the surrounding Jewish quarter and historic area. Saw one of only 3 remaining synagogues in Spain. In it's long history, it went from being a synagogue (possibly built for the private use of a wealthy man), to being a hospital for rabies victims when the Jewish people were expelled from the kingdom. From hospital to a community centre and chapel under the ownership of the Shoemakers Guild. In 1885 it became a national monument. It was beautiful.

    Saw an Inquisition and Torture museum, which was quite disturbing. Basically just torture devices and their descriptions - a bit nauseating but worthwhile to see for hammering home the harsh realities of the Inquisition.

    Looked through some shops and stuff and saw some Christmas markets including some cool kids rides. Stopped for some/too many drinks and tapas. Tried vermouth - was OK. Tinto de verano still excellent.

    Stopped by supermarket just before closing and for Ferrero Rocher waffle and Kinder Bueno crepe from the Christmas market. Then home to bed!
    Read more