Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Day 2 & 3 - Florianopolis

    April 22, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    Our second day in Florianopolis was dry but still pretty overcast so we took the ferry boat across the lake to a little fishing village. We visited a little waterfall and then mooched around the village before hopping back on the boat. There are lots of small villages along the lake, some of which have no access by road, so the boat acts as a taxi for the locals.

    The day before we had spotted this pretty yummy looking coffee bar so we decided to treat ourselves. They were a treat as these coffees were like no coffees you have ever had before. Simon chose a latte, but it was no ordinary latte. For starters it came in a giant wine glass on which Nutella was thickly spread around the glass. It also came with a side of another giant blob of Nutella on the end of a long spoon! I opted for the coffee milkshake which was made up of coffee, milk, ice cream and chocolate sauce. They were both a taste sensation! And needless to say we felt a bit sick afterwards but they were totally worth it.

    Then just as we thought our day couldn't get any better we made another amazing discovery. Let me set the scene a little bit for you first. Supermarkets in Brazil are rubbish! They are quite small, don't really have much in them and the limited fruit and veg they do have is a bit manky. And don't even get Simon started on the meat. It looks disgusting, smells worse and more often than not can be found accompanied by flies. You can therefore imagine our delight when we stumbled upon a decent supermarket that actually half resembled a supermarket back home. The shelves were full of things you would actually want to buy and there was a plethora of fresh fruit and vegetables. There was also mince and fresh chicken breasts (not frozen like every other supermarket). We actually felt like kids at Christmas discovering a stocking full of presents at the end of our beds!

    Today we awoke to sunshine streaming through the windows and Simon waking me up for a change, excited to go to the beach. We went to a beach called Mole beach (pronounced in the Austin Powers way). What Brazil lacks in supermarkets, it sure makes up for in beaches.
    Read more