Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Day 6 - Sucre

    May 28, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Every Sunday, there is a market in a nearby village called Tarbuco. It is a very traditional village where it's inhabitants wear very traditional clothing. We were dropped off at the Samay Wasi cultural centre where a very excited lady told us about the different markets and explained the difference between the handmade textiles made in the village and the synthetic rubbish you can buy anywhere so that we didn't get ripped off. We were then free to mooch around the markets. Unfortunately we don't have any photos as the traditional Bolivian women that run the market stalls believe that when you take a photo of them a little bit of their soul gets stuck inside the photograph.

    There were so many beautiful handmade blankets and ponchos, I would definitely be coming back with loads of stuff if we didn't have another 7 months of travelling ahead of us. We therefore returned to Samay Wasi empty handed for some lunch.

    Whilst we ate lunch, the very excited lady from earlier did some traditional Bolivian dancing for us. It looked like she may have been dancing with her baby brother and he definitely wasn't as into it as she was!

    After lunch we headed back to Sucre with the aim to visit one of the museums in the afternoon. Being a Sunday though everything was shut and as I still wasn't feeling great we headed back to our hostel and had a lazy afternoon watching Netflix. The wifi in Bolivia is pretty terrible so when you actually get good wifi it is very exciting!

    As we'd had a super noodle snack mid afternoon, we weren't massively hungry so opted for a burger from a classy burger establishment called Xpress.
    Read more