Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 79

    Huacachina

    June 20, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Huacachina is a random oasis in the middle of the desert. I was disappointed to discover that despite originally being a natural oasis, they now top it up! We're staying at the Upcycled Hostel which is awesome. Everything is upcycled and the owner Lorenzo is lovely. It also has a pool, not that we've gotten in it as it's freezing! It's the perfect place to chill in the sunshine, although being in the desert it gets mighty chilly in the evenings.

    The hostel does good cheap food so we decided to grab lunch there so we could spend more time topping up our fading tans. The hostel is slightly outside of Huacachina so after lunch we wandered in to check out the oasis. It's so strange that there is a beautiful lake in the middle of absolutely nowhere! It was only a 10 minute walk from the hostel but for 3 soles you could get a tuk tuk back which we did as we really wanted to go in the tuk tuk!

    Later in the afternoon we headed out for a couple of hours of sand buggying and sand boarding. We were picked up in a 10 person sand buggy from our hostel and headed out into the desert. The guy drove us round like a maniac for a bit which was really fun before we stopped to do some sand boarding. This sand boarding was very different to what we had done in Florianopolis. To start with it was way steeper! You also didn't go down standing up. Instead you lay face first on the board before you were pushed over the edge. It was scary! We did this 3 times in 3 different places (well Simon did, I decided I'd had enough excitement after the second one). We then sat on the ridge and watched the sun go down which was pretty magical.

    In the evening we decided to eat at the hostel again as the food is so yummy. We then huddled around the fire pit chatting to a few other people that were also staying in the hostel whilst listening to music. The hostel has the most amazing playlist ever!
    Read more