Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    Beachcomber

    July 3, 2017 in Fiji ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Today marked the start of our holiday from our holiday. It was an early start as we were being picked up at 7am to head to Port Denarau to catch the first boat out to the islands. Around 8:30am we boarded the Ocean Dreaming, a white catamaran and our 9 days of island hopping commenced.

    Our first stop was Beachcomber Island and this place is incredible. The sea is the clearest sea I have ever swam in and the weather is perfect. It's the middle of their winter here so it's only around 28 degrees. We were greeted on to the island with more singing, clapping and a whole hearted Bula (which means Hello)! Everyone here is so friendly and happy. I mean I would be too if my office was an island in paradise. Their jobs must really suck! We walked up the beach and we were given a delicious welcoming drink before checking into our room.

    We spent the rest of the morning reading and sunbathing, interrupted every now and then by a dip in the crystal clear ocean. We could even see bright blue starfish. Tough day!

    All of our meals are included here and are of buffet style. The food is pretty good though and you can eat as much as you like. For lunch there were lamb chops, lamb sausages, seafood pasta, some Fijian vegetables and so much more.

    There are a number of activities on offer throughout the day, some are included and others you have to pay extra for. One of the included activities was turtle viewing which sounded awesome. We met at the main reception and the lady took us across to the back of the island to see the turtles. Now we were thinking that they'd be in the sea and maybe we could swim with them but that wasn't quite it. Instead we walked up to a pool (a rather small pool at that) with 3 turtles swimming around in it. I felt pretty bad for the little fellas however apparently they were born as a result of a breeding programme from a neighbouring island and they will be released back into the wild when they reach 3 years old.

    The rest of our afternoon consisted of more sunbathing followed by afternoon tea and cake and a walk around the island. To give you an idea of the size of the island, the walk took around 20 minutes and that was because we kept stopping to take pictures and I had no shoes on so had to walk ridiculously slowly across the coral. I reckon you could jog around it in less than 5 minutes.

    Dinner consisted of spaghetti, chicken, roast potatoes and salad with pineapple pie for dessert. It was pretty yummy.
    Read more