Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 101

    Auckland

    July 12, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    Our flight from Fiji to Auckland was just under 3 hours and we arrived in Auckland just before midday. It took a very long time to get through customs as New Zealand are very strict on what you can bring into the country. As we had been hiking in rural areas in the last 30 days we had to have our shoes inspected. They were both fine but I felt sorry for the lady as after 3 months of lots of hiking let's just say my trainers weren't as fresh as when we left the UK. After clearing customs we went in search of the Skybus to get us to our Airbnb for the next 3 nights in Mount Eden.

    We are staying with a couple called Paul and Matt in their apartment which is really nice. The downside of houses in New Zealand though is that they don't have central heating or double glazing. Auckland is also currently experiencing its coldest winter in years so it's pretty chilly! God help us when we get down south.

    We are yet to do any planning for this trip so the plan for the afternoon was to do some planning. It didn't go so well though so we set off to Countdown, a nearby supermarket to stock up on some bits. Paul and Matt are vegetarians so we are not allowed to cook meat in the house. We therefore opted for a quick and easy dinner of ricotta and spinach ravioli and a tomato sauce.

    Paul and Matt don't have central heating but they do have an electric blanket which is amazing! I am never going to be able to get out of this bed again.
    Read more