Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 127

    Blenheim

    August 7, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Just down the road from Picton was Blenheim, a quaint little town with lots of walks. The sun was shining so we headed straight for the tourist information centre to get some recommendations. I'd read about Wither Hills in the Lonely Planet and seen it in a couple of leaflets so when the lady mentioned it too I knew it would be a good spot.

    We parked up at the start of the Rotary Lookout Track and started to make our way up the hill. Today turned out to be a nice day with blue skies and sunshine so after making it to the lookout quite quickly we decided to carry on along the Twin Tanks Track. About halfway round and at the highest point we would reach we sat ourselves on a bench and tucked into the picnic we brought with us. At least two people commented when they walked past 'great place for a picnic'! The walk back down took us along a stream which was nice and it wasn't long before we were back in the van. Like always, off came the walking shoes and on went the kettle.

    We found a nice sounding free spot in Blenheim but to get to is was a rather long bumpy road which was pretty uncomfortable in the van. What made it worse is the entrance to the area for parking had a van parked right in the middle. After throwing my toys out of the pram and cursing a wee bit we just parked on the side between two trees. When I asked Blake to get out and help me park I think she was a bit nervous I was going to run her over.
    Read more