Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 135

    Fox Glacier - Queenstown

    August 15, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    After bailing on walking to Fox Glacier yesterday (neither of us could bothered to walk again for more ice) we thought it only right to visit this morning as the weather was pretty nice again.

    It was only a short 1 hour round trip so we only took the bare minimum camera and GoPro. We were even too lazy to put on our trekking shoes and I was still in my pyjama shorts. After navigating over some streams via some well placed rocks and up a giant hill we made it to the terminal face lookout. I'm glad we decided to do it as it was a lot more spectacular for me than Franz as you felt a lot closer and could see a lot more of it.

    Once back to the van we hit the road for Queenstown. There were lots of amazing views of the snow capped mountains and lakes during the drive so we stopped quite regularly for photos and a few times for Blake to take toilet breaks (I think she has a problem). We also found a nice lookout to stop for lunch by the Haast Pass memorial which had a nice view over the coast. Back in the van for what felt like forever we finally made it into Queenstown. We had been given a lot of recommendations for a famous burger place called FergBurger so we decided to treat ourselves after such a long drive. Fergs is so popular there is nearly always a 15 minute queue just to order followed by a 20 minute wait for the food. Luckily we managed to grab two seats and waited patiently for our food. I was slightly hungry when I ordered so I went for quantity over quality and ordered Mr Big Stuff. It was 3/4lb of meat with bacon, cheese and all the trimmings. To say I felt slightly sick after is an understatement. Blake opted for a Cockadoodle Oink which was breaded chicken with bacon and all the trimmings. The burgers also came with a huge box of skin on fries with sweet chilli and aioli dip which were delicious!

    There were no free spots in Queenstown so we found one that was just outside and headed there. When we pulled up a van had just covered 3 spaces of the only flat ground so I pulled up beside him and basically told him sharing is caring. He didn't take to kindly to this and almost drove his van in a ditch turning it around angrily. Needless to say we parked on the wonk a few spaces down after all as I don't think he would have made the best neighbour after that.
    Read more