Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 176

    Yungaburra - Cairns

    September 25, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We are heading back to Cairns today as our Jucy adventure has come to an end. We didn't have to return the car until 12:30pm so after our failed attempt at a cream tea yesterday we decided to try again. Not sure whether it was socially acceptable to eat a scone before 10am (although I know my Granny would have approved) we decided to visit another fig tree first. This one was called the Cathedral Fig Tree. To give you an idea of the size, it's 72m around the outside, CRAZY!

    We then went back to Lake Barrine for our cream tea. As it was early we just wanted to share a cream tea between us. You'd think that this was a perfectly reasonable request but oh no the lady was having none of it so we ended up with one tea and 2 lots of scones. One portion was 3 halves so we both felt incredibly sick after eating those so soon after breakfast. When the lady bought the tea out we asked for an extra cup so we could share and she didn't want to give it to us as we would need to pay for 2 teas. It was all very ridiculous and ruined our little treat. To add to that, scones with whipped cream instead of clotted cream are just wrong!

    We arrived back in Cairns around midday and dropped the car off before heading to our hostel to check in. We checked into a different one than before as we didn't like the last place and this one is a lot nicer. You also get a free evening meal which is a bonus. We have 2 nights here before we spend the next few weeks travelling down the East Coast to Brisbane. We therefore spent the afternoon planning what we wanted to do on the way down, before heading to the tour agencies to play them off against each other for a good deal on tours. 3 travel companies later I was feeling mentally exhausted and incredibly guilty. I could never be a salesperson as I felt terrible for playing them off against each other and essentially wasting their time. The best offer we got was $1298 per person which included all of our accommodation, a 2 day, 2 night sailing trip around the Whitsundays, a 3 day 4 x 4 trip around Fraser Island, the ferry to Magnetic Island, snorkelling hire and a surf lesson. We have asked her to try and get it closer to $1000 and then we will book it with them. The look of shock on her face when I asked her to knock $300 off made me feel terrible. I'm certainly not cut out for this. She is going to see what she can do though and we are going to come back in the morning. Fingers crossed!
    Read more