Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 208

    Day 12 - Shamrockvale

    October 27, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Unfortunately what we had both been dreading has happened and we lost poor little Nugget in the night which is incredibly sad. Farm life never stops however so after sorting out Tyson, we headed back up to the yard to help with meds and temperatures. Chris asked us to herd in the cows for him and we thought we were doing a smashing job until Nick came in on his quad and rounded up 7 cows at the back of the field that we had missed - oops! The cows seem a lot better today though with lots of cows not needing any injections. All but 2 of the cows in the sick bay have been released back into the main paddock today too which is good news. As a result we were all finished up by 11am so we headed off in search of Marius to see if there was anything he wanted us to do for an hour. Marius didn't need any help but he was just off to see the bees to check whether they had accepted some new queen eggs he had introduced into a couple of the hives, so we came along for the ride. Marius only wears a protective hood when he goes to the bees which is completely bonkers! Simon and I however didn't fancy getting stung so we slipped into full protective get up with gloves and wellies and followed Marius in his short sleeved t-shirt, shorts and flip flops to the hives. I'm so glad we had the opportunity to visit the hives as it really is incredible to see.

    There weren't anymore cows to check on in the afternoon and it was stinking hot, so we both made some new frames for the hives in the shade.

    In the evening, Chris invited us up to his house for our first Aussie BBQ along with Marius and a new wwoofer who joined us today Mark. The food was great and we had a really fun evening with a few beers and some pool. Aside from normal pool, we played a game where you each pull a number out of a pot and the aim of the game is to keep your ball on the table. Once someone pots it you're out. It got pretty competitive which was very entertaining. I managed to win one game however the majority of the time I was out first!
    Read more