Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 217

    Day 3 - Byron Bay

    November 5, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Another super early start but this time not because of the sun. We actually set our alarms for 4.45am in order to see the sunrise in the most easterly point of Australia at the Byron Bay Lighthouse. We decided against the 45 minute coastal walk to the lighthouse and parked at Wategos Beach instead, which was just underneath, allowing us some extra time in bed. After a 10 minute walk we made it to the lighthouse to see the spectacular colours in the sky. Unfortunately due to the cloud we only just noticed the sun pop up before it disappeared behind them, but it was still worth the early start.

    On our way back down we decided to walk along a bit of the coast which was busy with all the morning surfers and stumbled across the famous Pass Cafe. We thought it rude not to pop in for a coffee and some brekky. After food we headed back to the car and back to our Airbnb to pack. When we got back Paul recommended that we check out the Sunday markets. Suitably full of hippies, the market was actually really good. If we'd had more space in our bags or been on a short holiday I think Blake would have bought half of it.

    After lunch we headed back to Tallow Beach as we knew we could park for free and there was no wind. After a couple hours sunbathing and a dip in the sea, we packed up the car and got back on the road back to Brisbane. Our Airbnb back in Brisbane was an awesome pad with a pool so we made the most of the sunshine before heading out for a fish and chips dinner.
    Read more