Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 221

    Day 4 - Auntie Tricia and Shane's

    November 9, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    This morning we headed to Tambourine Mountain to do the rainforest Skywalk and the Glow Worm Caves.

    The rainforest Skywalk is a 1.5km walk combining forest floor trails and 40m high steel board walks. Although high, they were a lot more solid than the bridges at O'Reilly's so we took our time and looked at the various flora and fauna. Halfway round was a nice creek we could look over and on the way back was a rather wobbly cantilever bridge which one woman decided would be fun to bounce, and swing. Cheers for that!

    After the Skywalk we headed to the Glow Worm Caves. Glow worms, as we learnt, are only found in Australia and New Zealand and their biggest threat is humans due to deforestation and chemicals on crops or in water. For that reason this particular cave was man made. In the first part of the cave we sat and watched a video teaching us all about the glow worms before we entered the cave itself. Once inside we were surrounded by thousands of glowing bums! There are estimated to be around 7000 glow worms in the cave which is pretty good considering they only started out with 300. Our guide showed us one up close with a red light and you could see him wiggling to make another snare. With these snares they catch their dinner which we also learnt is hand caught by the staff each day using a butterfly net. Around 1500 flying insect are caught on a good day to feed them but as today was a but drizzly I think they may have gone hungry. Its okay though as glow worms can go without food for a good couple of weeks. Next to the caves they also had Frog Hollow, where there were a number of, yep you guessed it, frogs! After a quick wander around the frogs, we headed black to the house for lunch.

    After lunch we watched another afternoon movie and relaxed for the rest of the day. For dinner, Tricia cooked us up a delicious spaghetti bolognese. We sure are going to miss delicious home cooked meals when we're back on the road again.
    Read more