Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 244

    Day 7 - Kev's House

    December 2, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We are flying down to Melbourne today but not until 10pm so we spent the day organising ourselves and doing a load of washing whilst we have easy access to a washing machine. It's our first flight in a while so we need to consolidate everything back into just the 2 bags. Since our last flight we have managed to expand into a tote and a cool bag with a supply of staple food goods and ice packs. We didn't think we were going to be able to do it however we just about squeezed everything in. Jetstar have a strict 7kg hand luggage rule so if they weigh our hand luggage then we may have a problem however we've practised carrying our bags as if they are as light as a feather so fingers crossed we will be okay.

    Kev kindly offered to drive us to Sydney which is really lovely of him so we don't have to navigate the train with all of our stuff. It's just over an hour from Kev's house to the airport so we set off just after 6:30pm and arrived there in plenty of time. The flight itself was pretty hairy. There have been severe weather warnings in Melbourne due to a ridiculous amount of rain heading across the east coast, so the turbulence was pretty bad! Thank goodness it's only a short flight as I don't think I could have handled it for much longer. I think Simon may have some dents in his leg from my fingernails where I was clinging on for dear life.

    We are only in Melbourne for the weekend so I have found us a really cheap Airbnb to stay in in South Yarra. It's only £25 a night which for Australia is cheap as chips! We flew into Avalon which is around an hour out of Melbourne so we had an hour ride on the Skybus before we reached the city. We then had to get a tram out to South Yarra to our Airbnb. When we reached the city the rain was so bad we did consider getting an uber however there was a 1.9x surcharge and couldn't justify spending $40 on a taxi. We therefore braved the rain and set off on the 10 minute journey to the tram stop. 10 minutes doesn't sound far however in the torrential rain we were well and truly soaked. To top it off, when we got off the tram the other side I managed to walk through a huge ankle deep puddle so now my trainers are well and truly wet. It was around 2am by the time we reached the Airbnb so feeling very tired and wet we tumbled into bed and fell straight to sleep.
    Read more