Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 249

    Day 2 - Great Ocean Road

    December 7, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    I wasn't quite so alive, awake, alert, enthusiastic this morning so we didn't get out of bed till gone 8. After a bowl of trusty porridge we went off in search of a shower (as we may have skipped that yesterday). According to the CamperMate app, there was apparently a hot shower in Apollo Bay so we headed back out along the winding forest roads. When we pulled up we were a little dubious as to where the shower was going to be. We were near a boat ramp where there were loads of workmen working. I did spot a portacabin in the corner however I didn't see how there would be a shower in there so I went to scope it out. Low and behold there was a proper shower cubicle in there with a shower curtain and everything. It was even clean, the water was hot and there wasn't any poo in sight. Winner! We also got there at the perfect time as just as we were leaving there was quite a queue of travellers forming waiting for a free shower.

    Feeling refreshed, we headed into Apollo Bay for a mooch around the town. I really rate Apollo Bay and if we were to do the Great Ocean Road again on a bigger budget, it would be a great place to spend the evening as there are lots of cute cafes and places to eat. It also boasts a stunning beach!

    The next part of our drive was the most spectacular as we meandered along curvy cliffside roads, with amazing views out over the ocean. After an hour or so we made it to Lorne where we stopped for some lunch, which we ate on a picnic bench by the beach, followed by a cup of coffee from one of the cafes. Lorne is another cute seaside town with a few good tat shops which is always nice.

    From Lorne, you can take a small detour inland from the Great Ocean Road to Erskine Falls, in the Great Otway National Park. The waterfall was gorgeous and well worth the detour.

    I don't know if you remember the children's tv classic, Round the Twist, but just outside of Lorne in Aireys Inlet, you will find the lighthouse from the show. After a quick pit stop here to see the lighthouse and serenade / annoy Simon with the theme song we continued on the road towards Torquay. Torquay marks the end of the Great Ocean Road however we didn't actually bother to visit the town itself and instead just stopped at the famous Bells Beach which is just outside. This is where the worlds longest running surfing competition, Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach is held around Easter time. The sun had gone in by this point and it was ridiculously windy, and dare I say it, it was a pretty ugly beach, so we didn't stay here long. We have the car until 3pm tomorrow but instead of spending the night in some random spot just for sake of it, we headed over to Maddy's where we will be spending the next week.
    Read more