Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 267

    Day 9 - #Thatchersontour - Gold Coast

    December 25, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    It's Christmaaaaaaaasssss! And no one is feeling Christmassy at all!

    We woke to glorious sunshine pouring in the window for what is set to be a scorcher of a day! Mandy bought us all Christmas t-shirts to help get us in the Christmas spirit so we all donned those for breakfast. After breakfast we headed to the beach for a Christmas swim in the sea. We didn't expect it to be very busy but turns out that lots of Aussies go to the beach for Christmas Day! There were loads of families with gazebos set up, tables, chairs, BBQ's and eskies. It was so surreal to be in the lovely warm ocean on Christmas Day! It was so nice though that we stayed in the sea until our hands were wrinkly before heading back to Sanctuary Cove.

    Back at our villa, we tucked into our body weight in cheese and biscuits before a relaxing afternoon in the pool. We decided against the traditional British turkey Christmas dinner and instead did as the Aussies do and had a BBQ! Unfortunately there were no shrimp on the barbie (as we weren't sure whether they had gone off and didn't want to risk food poisoning) however we did tuck into some delicious steak, burgers and sausages and ate them outside.

    In the evening, we FaceTimed the fam. It felt strange that our Christmas was nearly over and everyone's back at home was just beginning! We have both thoroughly enjoyed our first Aussie Christmas and it was made all the more special that the Thatcher clan could join us too!
    Read more