Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Doi Ithannon

    December 19, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Another day trip today, this time to explore some of Doi Inthanon National Park, the highest mountain in Thailand. It was another early start which involved a spectacular fall down the stairs in the hotel by yours truly.

    Our day started off with a 2 hour hike along the Kiw Mae Pan Trail which gave us breathtaking views of the national park. At points we were above the clouds which was pretty magical. To walk through the park, you have to pay a local guide who accompanies you on the trek. Our guide was Mr Chicken who wore the most spectualar blue glittery disco pants! Our main tour guide (not Mr Chicken) was a fountain of knowledge, telling us all about the National Park, Thailand and the local hill tribes. I can't remember his name but he was lots of fun and was happy for us to take our time taking pictures which was great! We also completely lucked out on our group. Everyone was really friendly and didn't stop chatting throughout the whole hike, including a girl who used to live down the road from us in Bedminster!

    At the end of the walk we jumped back in the minibus to the highest point in Thailand. You were unable to see any views from here so it was more of a photo op than anything else, of which our guide was very obliging. It was then off to see the King and Queen Pagoda's which were built for the King and Queen of Thailand's 60th birthdays.

    Lunch was served in a hill tribe village of the Karen people. When you think of the Karen people you think of the long necks where women wear numerous hooped necklaces which gives them their name. There are however 4 different types of Karen people and the long necks are the newest of the tribes, moving over from Burma in the last 5 years purely for the tourist trade. The village we visited was more traditional which was really nice. There was also loads of cute little piglets and baby chicks running around too!

    After lunch we checked out the Wachiratham Waterfall beforw heading back to Chiang Mai. After a long day we were pretty pooped so found a nice vegetarian restaurant for dinner before heading back to the hotel.
    Read more