Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Dunnet Head to Dornoch

    June 6, 2021 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    With quite a lot of miles to cover today, we were up nice and early however before we headed off, we wandered down to the beach to watch the resident seals chilling on the shore.

    On our way to John O'Groats, we took a quick pit stop at the Castle of Mey, the Queen Mother's old holiday home. It was still early so it wasn't open yet for us to look around so we carried on to John O'Groats.

    John O'Groats itsself isn't much to look at so after getting the obligatory photo of the signpost and grabbing a quick coffee we headed off to Duncansby Head to see the famous stacks, reminiscient of the Great Ocean Road in Australia. Whilst walking to see the stacks there were also great views of the birds nesting on the cliffs.

    We then headed to the Castle Sinclair Girnigoe ruins. As we jumped out of the van and set off towards the castle, for the first time this trip, the heavens opened making it a very wet and windy walk. We really can't complain though as this is the first bit of bad weather we have had and once we had gotten our soggy selves back to the van, the rain actually stopped! After some soup to warm us up we headed off to Whaligoe steps which were unfortunately closed, so we continued on to the Grey Cairns of Camster, a pair of Neolithic tombs built more than 5,000 years ago. These were also closed however when they are open you can crawl through the very small passage into the main chamber which would have been pretty cool. They were still good to see from the outside though.

    It was then time to head to our campsite for the evening in Dornoch so we continued on down the East Coast. The campsite is right on the beach so after dinner we went for a stroll along the beach.

    Campsite: Dornoch Caravan and Camping Site
    Number of nights: 1
    Price: £25
    Read more