Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Loch Ness to Cairngorms

    June 8, 2021 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Blake found us a nice walk to do this morning so we packed up the car and headed to a little carpark in Foyer where the start was. After setting off it wasn’t long before we hit the upper and lower viewpoints of the Falls of Foyer which were pretty spectacular with the water thundering down them. After the falls we along the gorge back towards Loch Ness. The forest here is a popular with red squirrels however unfortunately we didn't spot any. On our way down it also dawned on us that we were walking in the direction of the campsite. True enough this circular loop took us around last nights site, along the shores of Loch Ness and back up to Foyer. We were pretty warm by this point as when we started the walk it was a bit chilly and looked as if it was going to rain so we dressed appropriately. Walking back up the hill to Foyer though out came the sunshine! Next to where we parked the van was a little cafe serving toastie’s so we grabbed a bite to eat before heading off to the Cairngorms National Park.

    The drive took us through lots of rolling green hills, full of cows, horses, pheasants and sheep (always sheep). Just as we were pulling into Aviemore Blake noticed a sign for a gin distillery so we made a U-turn to go check it out. Having sampled some of the Kinrara gins we bought a few miniatures to tide us over until we can order some more online. A couple more miles and there was a visitor centre and farm shop where we stopped for a gander and to get some more info on a quad bike tour we later booked onto for Thursday.

    Having got to our campsite a bit earlier than usual we leisurely set ourselves up and had a few games of monopoly cards. We were slowly using up our van supplies and neither of us could be bothered to cook so for dinner we drove into Aviemore and bought a yummy takeaway curry.

    Campsite: Glenmore
    Number of nights: 2
    Price: £56.15 for 2 nights
    Read more