Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 183

    The Alcazaba of Almeria

    December 5, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Located on a hill overlooking the town and bay of Almeria, this impressive fortress, founded in the mid-10th century, was once one of the most powerful Moorish fortresses in Spain.

    The Alcazabar is divided into three main areas, each reflecting the changes of different rulership. The lowest area, now landscaped gardens, was once residential with houses, streets and wells. In the upper area was the Muslim ruler's palace and a chapel, that was originally a mosque. Right at the top is a citadel added by the Catholic monarchs.

    The site is still being excavated but what has been discovered has been carefully and tastefully restored. Two houses have been built on Islamic remains and items displayed which give visitors a real insight to the daily life of its inhabitants.

    In modern times the Alcazabar has become popular with film-makers looking for authentic venues to produce Hollywood classics such as Lawrence of Arabia, Conan the Barbarian, Anthony and Cleopatra, Indiana Jones and, more recently, Game of Thrones.

    We were amazed that there was no entrance fee to this fantastic site with so much history on display and modern tv screens bringing the past to life. Well worth a visit.
    Read more