Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 580

    Hello from the Algarve

    January 6, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    We chose to take the toll motorway from Setúbal to the Algarve as we had been told that the alternative was a long, bumpy journey over badly maintained roads. Just 3 hours and €48 later (this was because we had to pay the 4-axle rate!), we arrived at Turiscampo, just outside Praia de Luz and Lagos.

    The site certainly lives up to the great reviews with indoor & outdoor pools and jacuzzis, luxurious showers with non-stop hot water, on-site restaurant/bar & supermarket, spa & gym and daily activities that include free Portuguese lessons, yoga and archery. We could be here a while!

    On Christmas Eve, we walked into the village of Espiche to The Grapevine bar/restaurant where we joined other Brits singing Christmas carols with music provided by a brass instrument quartet. On Christmas Day morning we had a walk along the beach at Praia de Luz before returning to cook a traditional turkey roast minus sprouts as we couldn't find any!

    Over the Christmas & New Year week, the campsite bar put on nightly entertainment so there was plenty of music and dancing to enjoy. We saw in the New Year in the bar and raised a toast to all of our family and friends, while the local Portuguese danced a waltz to see in 2019.

    From what we have seen so far, the area in this western end of the Algarve looks very interesting with rugged cliffs and rock formations, sandy beaches, old towns, surfing and the mountainous woodlands of Monchique and Fóia at 902m, the Algarve's highest point. Looks like the motorbike is going to getting plenty of use.
    Read more