Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 633

    Andalusia Day in Malaga

    February 28, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Our journey from Portugal to Spain took us around busy Seville (which would have been quicker had the outer ring road been completed!) and then on to a campsite overlooking La Vinuela lake, a perfect location in order to visit our friends Nigel and Tracy whom we hadn't seen for a year.

    Unfortunately, Tracy was back in the UK but we entertained ourselves in her absence with a trip into the historical centre of Malaga. It was a beautiful day and the streets were packed with Spanish families enjoying the outdoors but shouldn't the children have been at school and the parents at work on a weekday? Normally yes, but it was Andalusia Day and everyone was making the most of a day off.

    We wandered around the old town, which has been beautifully restored; pedestrian streets flanked by both modern shops and traditional tapas bars, as well as a Gothic cathedral and the Alcazabar complete with a roman amphitheatre. The port area has been rebuilt and now welcomes cruiseships to swell the town's coffers.

    There are lots of green spaces throughout the busy centre with wild parakeets screeching through the treetops and a golden, sandy beach along its edge.

    The next day we met up with Peter and Sally, friends of Nigel and Tracy that we had met the year before, for a beachfront lunch. Fish, octopus, lamb and goat were all enjoyed as we caught up with one another.

    Wish we could have stayed longer but we look forward to returning later in the year.
    Read more