Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 783

    Jura mountains, France

    July 28, 2019 in France ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    Decisions, decisions.... With a rendezvous planned in southern Switzerland with friends in 5 days time, we needed to decide whether to enter Switzerland from the north directly from Germany or to go into France and enter in the south via Lake Geneva. We chose to go via France and are so pleased that we did.

    Our destination was the municipal campsite at Vuillafans where we were welcomed by Béatrice, the manager, who had lived in the UK for 25 years and was very happy to have some English guests. The site was located directly on the river Loue, which cut a deep gorge through the valley, with pretty French cottages over-hanging the river where local fishermen were fly fishing for trout.

    During our time there we followed one of the many hiking and walking trails through the woods and along the river, as well as exploring the nearby villages and viewed the deep gorge from high on the motorbike.

    The area is famous for its cheeses and, whilst we didn't have the opportunity to visit a local fromagerie to see how it was made on this occasion, we were able to buy some Tomme, a nutty, semi-hard cheese, and Morbier, a semi-soft cheese with a black vein through its middle. Both were delicious. We shall definitely be coming back.
    Read more