Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    A Magical Couple of Days in Bruges

    October 2, 2023 in Belgium ⋅ ☁️ 75 °F

    We landed in Frankfurt at 8:30am, picked up our rental car and made our way to Bruges Belgium. Thank goodness Klaus is an energizer bunny because I was exhausted and slept most of the 5 hour drive. We arrived at our beautiful hotel called the Dukes Palace (a local told us former US presidents have stayed there) changed our clothes and headed out to explore. Of course first on my bucket list was the canal boat ride, it did not disappoint!! We grabbed a glass of bubbly and enjoyed the sunshine and scenery before walking to dinner. Unfortunately and fortunately the place I originally wanted to eat at was closed and we ended up getting a table at a wonderful restaurant with an amazing staff and incredible local dishes. The exception was the bottle of wine that is from Italy, Klaus is now in the process of finding a way to have it imported. We walked back to the hotel through the winding magical streets.

    Day 2- We had plans of waking early and that did not happen!! We slept until 12:00pm, which I guess is technically only 6am US time but boy did our bodies need it. After a great breakfast and a cute cafe we spent the rest of the afternoon exploring bridges, tasting the local waffles, chocolate, beer and enjoying a bottle of the locally produced Belgium bubbly at a beautiful champagne bar. Next stop was a very trendy cocktail bar located in a different part of town away from the tourist area, we had amazing cocktails and chatted for an hour with the owners, who happened to be the brother in law of the owners of restaurant we were having dinner at called Tom’s Diner. The atmosphere and food were perfect. We walked back to the cocktail bar for a night cap and ended up spending over an hour chatting with two gentleman that were from Boston traveling for a Rugby Tournament. Back to the hotel, we realized we were hungry and had not tried the famous fries yet. We walked to the market square and ordered Fritz from the food truck, yummy! Unfortunately, it was after midnight, and we had to be up at 5:30 in the morning to head to Düsseldorf Germany. I cannot wait to visit Bruges again and all the other magical cities that Belgium has to offer.
    Read more