Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Meadow Glen Rest Area to Manna Hill Rest

    August 12, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Another big driving day! Left the Meadow Glen Rest Area around 9am after a very cold night! We woke up to find ice on the camp chairs outside but still a great spot to stop! We had no phone or internet but found there was one bar near the toilets.

    We stopped and made lunch about 12.30 at Little Topper, about half an hour before we got to Broken Hill. We headed straight for the Information Centre before walking to the Musicians Club for a look at the famous Saxophone chandelier! Lara was very impressed! We also stopped by the Palace Hotel and saw the giant stiletto. We decided to skip Silverton and the Mad Max Museum and instead got back on the road to head further along and into South Australia and shorten tomorrow's drive time.

    We travelled through the Strazleki Desert spotted lots of goats, emus and a few emus with their chicks. We even saw the odd tumble weed. Such a vast difference in landscape from what we're used to seeing. We also realised we had moved into a new time zone and had gained half an hour!

    We arrived at the Manna Hill rest area just before 5pm; ??? Kms and 6 hours drive from our last stop for the night and ???kms from home. After waiting 2 hours for the Lasagna to cook for dinner, homework and music practice (and a few toasted marshmallows) we are turning in before another day of driving tomorrow. (Will correct kms tomorrow after I check!)
    Read more