Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Driving to Banka Banka Station

    August 24, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    The initial plan was to get to Tennant Creek but after hearing some great reviews we decided to aim for Banka Banka Station about an hour further down the road.

    We crossed the Tropic of Capricorn and we're making pretty good time. We reached the Devils Marbles before we knew it. We stopped for lunch and a good look around. The way these rock formations appear out of nowhere. As we left we began to notice more and more termite mounds. We fuelled up at Tennant Creek and decided we had plenty of time to make it to Banka Banka Station.

    We arrived to find we were without reception again. We checked in and set up while the kids went and met the resident camels and donkeys! We got chatting to some of our neighbours only to find out that the van next to us was from Nelsons Bay!

    The owner gave Jon the scraps for the girls feed the animals which the girls loved. The camels were a little heavy handed with the food so the girls decided to give the rest to the donkeys. Well, I never thought I would see a camel throwing a tantrum but that's exactly what one did! After feeding the donkeys the girls came back and gave the rest to the camels.

    Once we finished dinner we went to the nightly campfire and caught up with some of the other campers while the girls roasted marshmallows. It turned out to be a valuable conversation. We were warned off the fuel stop we had intended to go to the next day. Apparently it has a reputation for dirty fuel which could potentially cause big problems. The plan is now to fuel up at Renner Springs which will get us through to Mataranka. Now to pack up as much as we can tonight so we can get away early in the morning.
    Read more