Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Darwin Litchfield Tour

    August 29, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    We were up before dawn and ready to be picked up out the front of the caravan park at 7.30 for our tour of Litchfield.

    Our tour guide Brad was awesome and very knowledgeable! The first stop was at a wetland centre which was a great hands on spot for the kids to learn about the area. With plenty of hands on displays for the kids. We also learned a lot about the wet season.

    Next was an hour long croc jumping cruise in the Adelaide River. We saw about 15 crocs and saw 5 jump for food. On the way back they threw food to several types of eagles and they were swooping next to the boat to grab the food mid air!

    We drove about an hour to lunch, listening to rad discuss the area, bushfires (or cold fires as they're known up here because they have much less intensity), the wet season, lightening and its influence on the local trees and plants. Lunch was nearly an hour to eat the lunch provided and top up the sunscreen then we headed to see a Cathedral Termite Mound.

    Brad told us so much about termites we had absolutely no idea about! This termite mound was approximately 5 meters tall making its queen approximately 50 years old. Turns out they are absolutely amazing little creatures.

    Next was our first waterfall and swimming hole! Wangi Falls were stunning! Joe took the girls in while I stayed out of the very cold water and took photos. All had a ball swimming under the waterfalls and jumping off rocks. We had an hour there before heading to the next spot.

    Buley Rock Hole as a series of small waterfalls and rock pools that lead into Florence Falls. These are fed by underground water and do not dry up in the dry season. We only had half an hour here before heading to the viewing platform for a look at Florence Falls. Then afternoon tea and back on the bus for some good music and laughs for the hour and a half drive back to the caravan park.

    For a 10 hour day it was fantastic value and Brad our guide really took the trip to the next level. I really think we all learned a lot! Can't recommend the tour highly enough! Litchfieldtours.com.au

    And a big thank you to Aaron Miller for recommending the trip!

    Home for a quick and easy bacon and egg dinner and some decision making about what we'll do on our last day in Darwin before heading to Kakadu!!
    Read more