Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Kakadu - Cahills Crossing

    September 2, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Today we took a drive to the famous Cahills Crossing. This is a crossing over/through the East Alligator River into Arnhem Land. The area is renown for Saltwater Crocs and didn't disappoint! We were there at low tide. We went down a boat ramp where we could see a couple of people fishing but not too close to the water! We could see a couple of Crocodiles there.

    We headed to the crossing itself which was being driven across regularly. You could see a car that had been washed off at some point and a few more Crocodiles further up so we headed to the lookout area beside the road for a better look. We could see a couple of crocs laying around. A large one appeared from under the water but disappeared before I could snap a photo. It was amazing how quickly they can disappear without a sign they were there at all.

    A walking track took us to a tour boat ramp with 2 large crocs on the opposite side of the river. As we watched another croc further up caught a large fish and was eating it on the edge of the water. This quickly attracted several others including the two across from us. It's really something else seeing them without fences just doing what they do. I think we saw about 15 while we were there.

    We headed back to the car and drove across into Arnhem Land, then turned around and came back. Permits are required to travel into Arnhem Land but we can say we've been there even if it was just a few meters in. We drove around the corner to a little takeaway/Thai restaurant we had heard of and stopped for lunch before heading back to the van. Cahills crossing was an easy 1 hour drive from Cooinda.

    In the afternoon we did our first Yellow Waters Cruise. It was stunning. There is so much to see out there. We probably saw another 15 crocs and countless birds. Our God grew up in the area and was able to tell us a lot about the changes that have gone on over the years. We took a lot of photos of the wildlife and stunning sunset. It was a wonderful end to the day.

    An early night is in order. We'll be up at 5.30am to be ready for the breakfast Yellow Waters Cruise in the morning!
    Read more