Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Cape Tribulation

    September 13, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    After a getting a few things done at the van we headed north towards Cape Tribulation! Where the rainforest meets the sea. It was about a 40 minute drive from Lync-Haven through the winding rainforest lined road. It is so beautiful here. I would bottle the air if I could. The perfect mix of ocean and rainforest smells and not a hint of dust.

    We arrived to find the car park pretty full. You walk down a path surrounded by rainforest which just seems to stop and open to the white sand. We walked across the sand to the water. If it weren't for the crocodile warnings I could've walked straight in. The water was as warm as the Mataranka Springs.

    We walked to the far end of the beach, ankle deep through the water. The girls found a few small shells, we found a small pipi and let the girls watch it dig itself in and tried to figure out what the sparkle is through the sand.

    When we got to the end we found the mouth of the river from the book 'Where the rainforest meets the sea'. We walked in as far as we could safely. Being low tide we saw school's of fish stuck in puddles and looked for signs of crocs (but we didn't find any). We headed back along the rainforest edge of the beach, spotting coconut trees and taking photos. As we headed back to the car we found the path to the lookout and decided to have a look before headed back to the van.

    We had some lunch and brought in the washing when a lady walking by mentioned see a Cassuarie on one on the walking trails so we headed out for a look. The walking trails here are great. You have to watch for large tree roots across the path but it is beautiful thick, lush green rainforest all around you. We didn't spot the cassuary but we had a great time.

    Once we finished the trail the girls headed back to the van while Joe and I had another look at the resident animals. Joe managed a few catch up texts on the one bar of 3G service we get on and off. Before we knew it it was time for dinner and a movie in the van. A really good day. I just love it up here!
    Read more