Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Meteora's Hanging Monasteries

    May 31, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    Brace yourselves, many pictures of the Meteora, Kastraki and the hanging monasteries coming. We enjoyed our time in town even though it was during the heat of the day. The only thing that comes close to these rock structures is Zion National Park, but with a town built right into the fantastical swirls and spires of the rocks.

    Nestled in central Greece, these remarkable monastic complexes defy gravity as they perch precariously atop towering sandstone cliffs. Dating back to the 14th century, these monasteries were originally constructed as refuges for monks seeking solitude and spiritual contemplation. Today, they stand as a testament to human perseverance and architectural marvels. As you ascend the winding paths and staircases, you'll be rewarded with breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes, where vast valleys and ancient rocks create a mystical backdrop. Step inside the monasteries to explore exquisite frescoes, ancient manuscripts, and serene courtyards that exude an atmosphere of tranquility. Recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site, the Hanging Monasteries of Meteora are not only a marvel of faith and ingenuity but also a window into the spiritual and cultural heritage of Greece.
    Read more