Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 5

    Genoa Cathedral

    5. maj, Italien ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    Because it was Sunday when we were visiting, there was a mass going on. We weren't able to go in to see the reliquary and unexploded bomb from World War II, but we got to hear singing and enjoy just a few minutes of the worship.

    It was also beautiful to see the worn down stones of centuries of entrances and exits at the threshold, and think of how many others have trod these same steps to enter in to worship.

    -----

    Genoa Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of San Lorenzo, stands as a magnificent example of Romanesque-Gothic architecture in the heart of Genoa. Consecrated in 1118, its striking black and white striped façade and elaborate portal are iconic features, drawing visitors into a space steeped in history and artistry. Inside, the cathedral houses a rich array of art, including a chapel dedicated to John the Baptist and a treasury containing sacred relics and silverwork. Its robust, medieval structure has withstood the ravages of time and conflict, including a failed bomb attack during World War II, which is commemorated by the unexploded ordnance still on display. This cathedral is not just a place of worship but a profound emblem of Genoa’s enduring spirit and cultural depth.
    Læs mere