Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    The freeway adventure

    October 3, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    This morning started nice and warm (indoors) and Geoff spoilt us again with a Shakshouka for breakfast. Afterwards, we were ready to climb a pass along an old highway for about 20km. At the top, we ate some of the delicious homemade bread we got from Geoff. We could also see California already and - as we had heard before - the weather was indeed nicer and warmer!
    We then had a bit of an adventure ahead of us: we had to cycle on a freeway for about 10km as there was no decent alternative route South. So we courageously turned onto Interstate 5. Straight away, there was construction work going on and only one lane was open. So instead of taking the shoulder, we had to share the road with the cars and trucks. Luckily, it was all downhill (about 6%), so it was over quickly (we could go about 60km/h). What an adrenaline rush! We thought about likely radio news in Germany about 2 crazy suicide cyclists on an Autobahn. But here, the construction workers even waved at us happily.
    The rest of the day was relatively easy up and downhill with flat part and finally set up our camp in the National Forest near Weed.

    We also completed the 2000km today. So far:
    2035 km
    117h on the bike
    21304 m uphill climbing
    Read more