Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Another fiesta

    December 15, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    2°C - when we got up today, it was freezing cold. Probably normal at an elevation of 2300m, but it was still a surprise for us in a way. Only 10 days ago, we were covered in sweat just by breathing... Anyways, we started our day with a long cold stretch through clouds and fog (which felt like autumn in Ingolstadt). When it finally cleared up, we felt a lot warmer and better!
    We then had another surprise. We actually got kicked off the cuota. First time, they enforce the rules here (no bicycles allowed). Luckily, we were not too far away from the next city, so the slower detour on gravel wasn't that long.
    We stopped in Toluca for lunch, a huge city with colourful houses and a very busy centre. Meanwhile, it was 28°C, and what did we see? An ice skating rink. What a surprise again!
    We continued our way to Metepec where we stayed with Memo, Janelle and their 2 kids. When we arrived at their place they invited us to join them to a posada. A posada is a Mexican Christmas party. They start on the 16th and continue every night til Christmas. For some reason, no one cared that it's only the 15th today... So we spent a great afternoon and evening with their friends. There was awesome food and Christmas punch. They also have a tradition to hit a "pinata". The pinatas are filled with candy and you hit them with a stick while the others sing a song. Once it's over, it's the next person's turn until all the candy drops out of the pinata. Then everyone jumps on the candy to get the best ones. They actually had 2 pinatas today, one for the kids and one for the adults. Herbert and me got our turn as well. Good fun for everyone, that's for sure!
    Read more