Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 138

    Mirador Esperitu de la Montana

    January 23, 2020 in El Salvador ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    As the love motel wasn't too cosy and as it was going to be hot again, we were on the road by 6:30am. Furthermore, we didn't have breakfast, so we had to stop in Usulutan to buy some bread and bananas.
    The road was pretty busy but at least relatively flat and the asphalt was good, so we could complete this stretch quite fast. All the time, we could enjoy the views on the volcano de San Miguel.
    After 50km, we could finally leave the busy road. This however came with a deterioration of the asphalt and a 450m climb. We also had to share the road with some cows who didn't care about cyclist who wanted to pass at all...
    We had heard about a great lookout where you could also camp. Apparently, there's transport available every day at 3pm from the village Conchagua and you can take your bikes. We didn't know if we could make it on time, so didn't organize anything in advance. When we realized we can make it, I called Luis, who runs the tours, and he told us we can go up with him. So we went to the central square in Conchagua and bought food and water for the night while waiting for Luis. Once he arrived, we put our bikes and luggage on the truck and jumped on the back as well. The ride to the top took about 45min and the road was very steep and bumpy, so it was an adventure itself. However, the lookout is absolutely amazing. You can see the bay of El Salvador, Honduras and all the way to Nicaragua. And we can put up our camp right on the wooden platform, so we can see the stars and the sunrise out of our sleeping bags. Really looking forward to the night and the morning - but definitely not to ride down!
    Read more