Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 142

    León

    January 27, 2020 in Nicaragua ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    As most shops and markets are closed on Sundays in Nicaragua, we couldn't find anything for breakfast yesterday. So we took of early today and stopped after 20km at a restaurant for rice, beans, cheese, eggs with ham, and a refreshing handmade lemonade. Good start into the cycling day!
    After the first few km, the road was also perfectly smooth with few traffic, so we could enjoy the view of the volcanos and observe people on horses and in oxcarts which seem to be common means of transport here.
    At some stage, we turned towards León, and the road wasn't smooth asphalt anymore but dirt. Luckily, we got back on a main road after 6km.
    We rode into León, where we looked for a hostel for the night. We decided to stay in the 3rd one we checked as it offered good value for money. After the general chores (laundry, shower, cleaning water bottles and sunglasses), we spent the rest of the afternoon exploring this awesome colonial town, bought food at the market, cooked dinner and planned out the route for the rest of Nicaragua as well as part of Costa Rica. There's actually quite some tourists here which we haven't seen in a while...
    Read more