Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 155

    Pura vida

    February 9, 2020 in Costa Rica ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    After a coffee and some fruits we left our guesthouse this morning. We had a short day ahead of us, so we knew we could stop a few times on the way. As it's around 40°C every day, our stops are usually connected with water. Our first stop was at Dominical beach where we went for a swim. The second stop was at a river close to that beach to go swimming again.
    Cycling in general was alright, as the road had a shoulder and traffic wasn't too bad on a Sunday. We also saw many other road bikers.
    After the river stop, we continued to Uvita where we were going to stay with Enrique and his family. We knew from other cyclists that he hosts biketourers at his cacao farm.
    When we arrived there, we got a warm welcome including coffee, biscuits and cacao beans to taste. They are actually quite good! All "pura vida", an expression the Costa Ricans use for anything positive.
    Jonathan, a Mexican cyclist, is also staying here, so we could all share stories about our trips. In order to watch the sunset, us and Sonia (Enrique's cousin), Doña Silvia, Andrés (Silvia's son), and Jonathan went to the local beach which is named for its shape: If you look at Google maps, you can see the rear fin of a whale. It's a National Park, so during the day, it costs 6US$ entrance fee for foreigners. After 4pm, it's free :)
    For dinner, we cooked Bratkartoffeln for everyone again and had a lot to talk and laugh about. Pura vida, the Costa Rican hospitality!
    Read more