Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 168

    Swimming with the caimans

    February 22, 2020 in Panama ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    Gregorio and Irma, the couple we met on the road a few days ago, had invited us to join them at their finca during the weekend. We were looking forward to this, as it meant being in nature and getting to know Lake Bayano where their finca is located.
    We could leave our bikes and luggage at the Airbnb and only left with a small bag packed with few clothes for the weekend. Gregorio and Irma picked us up at 7am and we drove to the lake. On the way, we encountered many police controls who checked people going to the carnival festivities.
    We arrived at the lake and packed everything on a traditional wooden boat. Another 15min by boat and we arrived at their little cabin. We had lunch and lots of oranges and relaxed in the hammocks. In the afternoon, we went on a little tour to a tiny island that also belongs to the property to pick bananas. Here, we were welcomed by some vultures around a dead caiman. This made me think twice if we want to swim in the lake, but the clear water and the Tarzan swing were too tempting.
    A couple of friends together with two other tourists (Hayden from California and Christoph from Switzerland, traveling in a van) also came to the property. We had a great time with this international group of people while eating fish and banana chips.
    As a side note: phone and Internet connection are perfect at this spot in the middle of nowhere. Unlike some places in Bavaria for example...
    Read more