Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 177

    Here we are, Colombia!

    March 2, 2020 in Colombia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    A long boat trip came to an end this morning when we arrived in Cartagena. After another 4 hours from the anchoring spot, we passed the fort of Bocachica, saw the highrises and the marina of the city. We had a final breakfast on the boat (hamburgers), before inspecting our luggage for any damages due to the water. Our panniers were dry as well as one of the big bags. The second one got completely soaked - but luckily there were no electronics in it. Michl's iPhone did not survive a swim in the salt water though. The captain took him to his favourite technician later to replace it with a new one.
    However, we left the boat and went to immigration. This was pretty easy. We handed all our passports to a lady at the marina, she had them stamped somewhere and came back later to return them to us.
    We then went to our AirBnB, took a desperately needed shower, dried some wet stuff and gave a package of dirty cloths to the laundry service. Then we headed off to find a bike for Michl, so he can join us during the next few days. We checked some bikeshop just to see what's on the market, but didn't buy anything yet.
    Afterwards, we walked along the beach towards the historical center. It's interesting how quickly the environment can change here - from a slum-like road to pricey highrise apartments within one block. There's lots of streetart around all parts of the city. And the historical center is quite beautiful. Surrounded by a stone wall, many colonial style buildings, very colourful and lively, bars, restaurants... We really liked it.
    At 7pm, we met the boat crew at a pizza place to have dinner together. Nice to see everyone again after a shower and in clean cloths. But as we were all pretty exhausted from the cruise, we called it an early night and said goodbye to everyone.
    Read more