Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 180

    Last swim in the Carribean Sea

    March 5, 2020 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    As we won't see the Carribean Sea any time soon anymore, we decided to take a little detour and stop in Santiago de Tolú for a night. We started with a filling breakfast at the restaurant of the motel and headed towards Tolú on the highway. A little rolling, bit generally easy cycling with not much traffic. There was some construction work, but in Colombia motorcyclists and cyclists have "special rights". Except for once, we never had to stop on a one lane, one direction road, but could always continue no matter the direction of the traffic. When we had to face traffic, we just cycled on the lane that was in construction and closed for cars and trucks.
    After some 40km, we turned onto a smaller road. On Google maps, it looked like a dirt road, but it turned out that they had just paved it and it was still closed to public (except for motorcycles and bicycles of course). Therefore, we had a perfectly smooth road for ourselves to enjoy the scenery. We even saw a blue ara flying on top of us and a young cow drinking on the road.
    Once in Tolú, we straight away liked it. It's a good size, where you can get everything you need, but it is not overcrowded. It had restaurants and bars, but only few tourists. There was also a central square where we could sit in the shade and watch people.
    We also went for a swim in the sea of course, followed by a yummy dinner cooked by Michl (thanks heaps for this!) and a couple of beers on our balcony.
    Read more