Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2 | Milan, Italy

    July 6, 2015 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Tour: Milan Cathedral (Italian: Duomo di Milano) is the cathedral church of Milan, Italy. This Gothic cathedral took nearly six centuries to complete. It is the 5th-largest church in the world and the largest in Italy, with 135 spires and nearly 3,000 statues.

    Tour: The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II is one of the world's oldest shopping malls. Housed within a four-story double arcade in central Milan, this 18th century Galleria is home to many beautiful shops, restaurants and cafes. Look up to see the magnificent central dome. Look down to see the emblems on the mosaic floor representing the cities of Milan, Rome, Florence and Turin. If you want to return to Milan you are supposed to place your heel on the emblem of Turin -the bull- and rotate clockwise! We both did it!

    Tour: Sforza Castle is a castle in Milan, built in the 15th century by Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan, on the remains of a 14th-century fortification. In front of the castle, the spectacular fountain is a reconstruction (1999) of a fountain built in 1930. The people of Milan call this fountain "tort de' spus", or wedding cake, from the shape created by the jets of water. Great place to stop, rest, and of course, stick your feet in the water. :-)

    Chris napped in the park behind the castle.

    Lunch: Spontini Pizzeria
    Dinner: Majestic Cafe (Matre'D and waitress were great)

    Temp: High 98 / Low 79
    Pedometer: 8.42 miles
    Read more