Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Getting to Victoria Falls

    September 29, 2018 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We touched down at OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg at 4.40 this morning. Found our way through mostly closed shops to an open cafe and occupied tables all morning, coming and going in groups, as we waited for our 10.50 departure .

    Our flight of 80 minutes passed without any problems but it was extremely slow going through the Zimbabwe Customers and visa purchase. Once through we met our driver (Laban) and cook (Munya), loaded up the truck, and headed into Victoria Falls village. It was 33C so we all bought water in the OK Bazaars. On to Shearwater Village Camp ground where we moved into our tents.

    From the campground we walked to, and through, the lovely old colonial-style Victoria Falls Hotel to look at the view down the gorge to the bridge. Then on to the Lookout Cafe for a refreshing drink. On the way back to camp we bargained with vendors before heading for a swim.

    By 6.30 we were all spruced up for our dinner at the Boma restaurant. Here we had the opportunity to try crocodile, impala, eland, boerewors, sadza and mapani worms. Some tried, some didn’t, but everyone got involved when the bongo drums were hand out. Some danced, some were totally exhausted from the long day we had had, but everybody had enjoyed themselves.
    Read more