Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 7. Planet Baobab & Gweta

    October 3, 2019 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Not in a hurry this morning, so it was a slow start to the morning. Everyone now knows the routine and tents came down, bags packed and the vehicles loaded without any problems.

    After breakfast we drove the short distance into Nata and went shopping in Choppies for water plus. We also filled up with fuel before starting our drive westwards, a road that will eventually take us Maun tomorrow night.

    The countryside was very, very dry and the road deteriorated in patches. About an hour and a half later we turned off and had reached our destination, Planet Baobab.

    We moved into our campsite, tents went up and we were soon in the swimming pool. For lunch we had a traditional meal in the dining room, starting with a hand wash as used our fingers rather than cutlery. On the menu was sadza (a thick maize porridge), native spinach, beans, mapani worms, tripe and shredded beef. Everybody had a go and tried their best.

    After lunch we piled on to three jeeps, driven by Bakos, Super and Chemical, and were taken to a nearby cattlepost. Cattle are not allowed in the village of Gweta and so families set up a base further out in the bush. We explored the compound and talked to some meel players (a local board game).

    From the cattlepost we were taken to the village of Gweta for a slow drive to the spring around which the town developed, and then on passed the school, the library, the hospital and the post office. We were back at Planet Baobab by 4.30 and were soon playing Marco Polo in the pool.
    Read more